Friend


  I'm sure everyone has a childhood friend. I found Dabby when I was eight years old. I grew up in a small village about one hour away from the nearest town. My parents and grandparents were simple farmers. We have a little hill at the back of our house that is filled with clove trees. I was born with down syndrome, that is why I don't have any friends and people make fun of me at school, they said I "look funny" but I don't get it, I have the same features as them, 2 eyes, a nose and a mouth. I am usually alone when I am home but I don't mind that, I love being alone. That was the only time I can let my imaginations run wild.

  One of my favorite games was running around with a stick shape like a gun, wearing a bucket on my head as a helmet and pretending that I was infiltrating enemy camp through the hill. I would occasionally climb those clove trees and pretend that I was a sniper on a mission.
It happen one evening when I was climbing up one on the trees that I met Dabby, she was sitting on one of the branches staring into space. She has long black hair tied into a ponytail, pink shirt with red polka dots and jeans, she has big black eyes but she only has one ear. She saw me climbing up and offer her hand to help. That was the first time I touched a girls hand, I mean beside grandma and mom of course. It was warm and soft. Dabby told me that she lived at the other side of this hill and she likes running around the woods too. One day she saw me playing alone and thought that we can be friends so that we won't have to play alone anymore. She told me that people also make fun of her because she only has one ear but that never bothers me. I was happy that I finally found a friend.
Everyday I would run to the hill top and she would always be there sitting on the same clove tree waiting for me. We would run around playing hide and seek, using sticks as guns and pretend that we're at war, having tree climbing competitions or sometimes just sat on one of the branches and just enjoy the view as the sun goes down from a distance.

  I told mommy and daddy about her and they asked if she would like to have dinner together so decided to bring her home to introduce her to my family. I can tell they were happy that their son finally found a friend. One day when I brought her back to meet my parents, they just stood there staring blankly, Dabby introduced her self and they just looked at me and smiled, daddy hugged me and mommy started to cry. I knew it, they were happy I found a friend! We were having a wonderful dinner and I kept telling mommy and daddy stories if how we met and what kind of games we played together. After dinner I asked if Dabby could stay over because it's late and dangerous to walked back. Daddy said that she can stay. I asked if we could provide an extra pillow for her and he just turned and look at mommy. After awhile mommy came back with the pillow and gave it to me, I could tell that she just finished crying again, her eyes were red and watery. She kissed me good night and went to bed with daddy.

  We stayed up all night talking, Dabby was worried that my parents doesn't like her because of her one ear thing but I assured her that my parents are kind and that they're just happy that I bring home a friend. She started to feel a little better and then we start to crack jokes and laughed until finally I fell asleep. When I woke up the next morning, I couldn't find Dabby anywhere so I asked my parents. Mommy didn't know how to answer me but then daddy said that she left home early and didn't want to wake me up. I went up the hill that evening to look for her and as usual, she was sitting on that clove tree waiting for me. She smirked and threw a small brach at me and then we started throwing stuff at each others untill finally we were tired and then we just sat on the tree and watched as the sun sets again. Suddenly Dabby said that I am her best friend in the whole wide world and asked if I felt the same. I told her she was my only friend so naturally she was the world to me. Then it happened, she promised that she will never leave me and asked me to swear that I would never leave her too, we will be best friends forever.

  Few days later I overheard mommy and daddy quarreling about something. Mommy said something about telling me the truth but daddy said to just play along as long as I'm happy. I don't understand what they mean, I told Dabby about it and she ask me not to worry about it. After that every time I bring Dabby home, mommy will scold me. She said that I have to grow up and stop being like a child. Finally one day Daddy said that I have to stop seeing Dabby, that it's not healthy for me, that I have to go and find a real friend. I don't understand, Dabby is my friend and forever will be. The next day, mommy and daddy forbid me for going up the hill. They say that it's for the best, that I should mix with more people from my school. I told them people there don't like me, Dabby was the only one that understands how I feel. Mommy finally snap and said that she never want to hear the name Dabby anymore, I was shocked, I looked at Daddy and all he did was give me that sad smile and tell me to try and let go. Let go of what? My friendship with Dabby? I don't understand, what is so bad about Dabby that she couldn't be my friend?

  I was angry at mommy and daddy, I sneak out that night. I wanted to see Dabby, I wanted to be with my best friend. I was walking in the dark, the only thing that lid the way was the bring moonlight. I finally reach the clove tree but Dabby was not there. Silly me, of course she was not there, it's pass midnight. She's probably at home fast asleep. Just as I was about to turn around and walk back, I heard Dabby calling me. She was running towards me smiling. She said she knew I would come here to find her after not showing up for so many days. I was happy to see her. I cried telling her what my parents said. She hugged me and let me cry for awhile. Then finally she said that she know a way we could be together. Like now, mommy and daddy is sleeping and that's why I could sneak out and see Dabby, so what if mommy and daddy were to never wake up? I get to see Dabby whenever I want. Dabby said that she can help with that and she asked me to bring her back to my house.

  I hold her hands and we walked back, Dabby ask me to wait outside while she went in and make sure mommy and daddy will never wake up. So I just stood there, looking at the front door of my house. I heard some noise then I saw my parents room light turned on, I heard mommy scream but I couldn't hear daddy, then suddenly there were silence and after awhile the lights turn off. Dabby started to walk out from my house, her hair tied up in a ponytail, pink shirt with more red polka dots on it, She smiled and said that daddy and mommy wont be waking up anymore. We could be together forever, she said that I could stay with her as long as I want. I was so happy to hear that. She put out her hand, inviting me, I grab it and slowly we walk back to the clove tree on top of the hill.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whispers

Run